Thursday, October 11, 2007

Security

Ahh, Hacking. Such an interesting and entertaining pastime. Well, for some people. I'm not much of a hacker. Anyway, I found it somewhat amusing that the book romanticized hacking. But, it also provided good information on the history of hacking, and some of the greatest hacks. Its also interesting that hacking didn't begin as a malicious thing. It wasn't even dealing with computers, but model railroads. I don't know if that is ironic, but it is rather odd.

Now, I'm not even sure why the book asks the question of the ethics of hacking. I would say that it is a fairly cut and dry issue. In the case of Morris, it was immoral. He could have just pointed out the bugs in the code. In the case of a pen-testing company, its moral. There are specific situations in which the morality of an action could be debated, but overall, I don' think that is much of a debate.

No comments: