Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Privacy

So, before my reading of this chapter, I had a bit of a higher view of the American government. One thing that really stuck out about how stupid (and controlling) our government has been in the past about privacy was during the section on encryption. The government invented a cool encryption scheme called Clipper. Then proceeded to tell everyone else they had to use it (because the government could decrypt it whenever they wanted). And by everyone I mean even other governments. Why in the world would any government want any other government to have access to their encryption schemes?

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Anyway, privacy is a big issue. Personally, I haven't been affected by anything like identity theft, but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to me, because I'm not taking and extra special measures to prevent it.

Data is so prevalent in our world that I hardly think twice about what I post on facebook or whatnot.

There also seems to be this nice trend of the government trying to gain more and more control of the information that is out there, with all the fun acts they are creating.

I realize that some of this is necessary for security and whatever, but there also seems a to be a lot of information concealing and revealing that is for self-preservation only.

No comments: